Stage 20 Overview, Picks and Comment
July 25, 2008
Today is Stage 20. If Cadel Evans can make up a couple minutes he’ll win the 2008 Tour de France. I don’t think that will happen.
As of Friday’s result, here are the top six and their position…
1. SASTRE Carlos 11 TEAM CSC SAXO BANK 82h 54′ 36″
2. SCHLECK Frank 17 TEAM CSC SAXO BANK 82h 56′ 00″ + 01′ 24″
3. KOHL Bernhard 115 GEROLSTEINER 82h 56′ 09″ + 01′ 33″
4. EVANS Cadel 1 SILENCE – LOTTO 82h 56′ 10″ + 01′ 34″
5. MENCHOV Denis 131 RABOBANK 82h 57′ 15″ + 02′ 39″
6. VANDEVELDE Christian 191 GARMIN CHIPOTLE 82h 59′ 17″ + 04′ 41″
7. VALVERDE Alejandro 31 CAISSE D’EPARGNE 83h 00′ 11″ + 05′ 35″
Bernhard Kohl is only back a minute and a half and has been really aggressive this tour. He could catch Sastre easy.
Cadel Evans is back 1:34 and he could go faster than Kohl and be in first.
But the wild-card here is Christian Vandevelde. He is back four minutes and 41 seconds. BUT, he can fly and didn’t exert himself much in stage 19.
This means that if he can finish a couple minutes ahead of Evans, the Tour could be closer than LeMond Hinault and will require a sprint finish on Sunday.
Oh, today’s time trial is 53KM from Cerilly to Saint Amand Montrond. The stage is rolling terrain and is LONG for a time trial.
That favors Menchov, Vandevelde and Kohl. Evans will have to be well rested and give something special to get himself into yellow.